Friday, June 10, 2011

Words..

Words....they can be a blessing and can uplift you, but they can also hurt and discourage!!

This is something that the Lord has been showing me and this has been on my heart lately... it's amazing how often we use our words to hurt others! Sometimes, it's not intentional, but other times, we do it out of spite...because we want to hurt the other person. There are thousands of verses in the Bible about our words...and almost every Christian knows these verses by heart, but do we actually do what the verses tell us to do?!?! Are our words always edifying???

I find that mine aren't always. And this is something the Lord has burdened on my heart that I need to change.

We need to be careful with our words!!

Proverbs 25:11 says: "A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in pictures of silver."
A word fitly spoken in other words is beautiful...it brings beauty and joy to those who hear it.

Ephesians 4:29, "Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers."


I could post verse after verse about our words...The Word of God is full of them!!!

Our words should be edifying...



Some things...may be your preference, or your personal opinions.... they aren't necessarily wrong but we need to stop and think about it a bit, before saying. Is it going to edify the hearers? Is it going to just cause strife or anger? Is this going to hurt someone's feelings?

 If it is, it just shouldn't be said. (period)

We do not need to say everything we think... Some things are better kept to ourselves!
"He that hath knowledge spareth his words, and a man of understanding is of an excellent spirit." (Proverbs 17:27)

I was present at a very awkward situation recently, where there were some unnecessary words spoken, and this led to hurt feelings, not only from the people involved, but also to the hearers around, who actually had nothing to do with the whole deal!

This is why we need to be very careful, dear friends! Words can hurt deeply, they can destroy a relationship, they can cause division...and this does not please God!!

Our words should be used as a blessing to other, not as a stumbling block!

My prayer lately has been Psalm 19:14

"Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in thy sight, o LORD my strength and my redeemer."


I want the words that proceed out of my mouth to be acceptable before God! This has been my daily prayer...and I hope you will make it yours as well!

Let's seek to encourage, uplift and bless others with our words. It should be every Christian's desire to be more Christlike. Jesus himself is the best example of a wise person with words. He spoke when he needed to,  and I am sure he would've never used his words to hurt or discourage someone.

We can't do it on our own...we need God's strength, discernment, and power to know when we should use our words, so that they can bring grace to those who hear them!

I hope you will take some time to reflect on your words today! Are your words, kind, full of compassion, and uplifting or are they rude, offensive, and discouraging?!?!

Let's seek to be wise in our words!

Have a blessed day!!!




No comments: