Friday, August 19, 2011

A Heart of Contentment

I've been dealing lately with contentment. I think we as women tend to be discontented with many things in our lives. We are always wanting more, something better, something nicer, something bigger...Always wishing we had a nicer house, (in my case wishing that the construction of my house would come together sooner), wishing we had nicer furniture, wishing we had air-conditioning (would be nice in this terribly hot weather), and the list goes on and on...plain discontentment.

I have turned to God's word for help in this area...and boy, have I ever felt convicted!


I Timothy 6:8 says: "And having food and raiment let us be therewith content."

Notice, it does not say; be content is you have a nice house, or air-conditioning (ouch), or whatever we're discontent about. It says, having food and raiment ( clothing) let us be content. Sound simple, but oh so hard to grasp, to put into practice.
We have plenty of food around here, and clothing too...so that means I should be content!

What exactly is contentment?!?! My dictionary says:
Con-tent-ment  (noun) : The state of being contented (satisfaction),  a source of satisfaction.


Another verse yet, Hebrews 13:5 "Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee."


Once again, it says be content with the things that you have! Very convicting isn't it? I have asked the Lord to forgive me for my discontentment, I want to be content, I want to be a thankful Christian, wife and mommy...I want people to see me as a happy person, not a long faced, complaining christian! So, what has to change???

My heart...

It's a heart issue. It's a decision. A decision that has to be made every day...whether I will be happy and thankful today, or not.

There is one young wife and mommy in our church that has blessed me so much and has been such an encouragement to me as I learn to be content. She is one of the happiest people I know! She always has such a lovely smile on her face. If you would happen to visit her house, you would see that her family doesn't have much.. they live in a tiny, tiny 3 roomed (by three roomed, I mean the house has 1 bedroom, 1 kitchen and living room combined, and a bathroom) house in the back of her mother-in-law's house. They don't have much of anything. Her husband is currently un-employed, and they have two small adorable girls...now put yourself into her situation, I know I would be very worried.. to say the least.
Do you think this took away my dear friend's joy and thankfulness???
Definitely not!
I went to visit her this last week, and I left her house in tears...she encouraged me...she blessed me, she continues to be happy and cheerful although the world around her is falling to the ground. What an example and encouragement she is! My friend and her husband might never be rich, but they're one of the happiest families I have ever met. Their two little ones don't have a nice room, or nice clothing and toys, but they're one of the most contented little children I have ever met...once again reminding us that it's not things that brings happiness...their parents are teaching their children contentment...they will someday make wonderful, happy wives and mommies!

That's definitely what I want for me, that's the legacy I want to leave for my children...I want them to remember me as a happy, contented mommy! I might never get my house as fast or as nice as I want it, I might never get my air-conditioning, but I can still be happy and content because God has already given me so much more than I deserve!

What about you? What have you learned about contentment? Would you care to share?

From a thoughtful and thankful heart,

1 comment:

Unknown said...

amen! precisava de ouvir essa palavras. thank you! :)
praying for you!